Identifing the common problems or reasons to any coordination situation:
[1 Jennings, 1996] and [2 Nwana, 1996] give many reasons that might necessitate coordination in multi-agent systems. The more important are:
- Meeting global constraints: If there are global budget limits, then agents must make agreements.
- Distributed information, expertise or resources: Often, a task cannot be performed by a single agent alone. If the required capabilities are distributed among the agents, coordination is necessary.
- Dependencies between the agents' actions: For instance, different tasks may need the same resources or there may exist a precedence relation between tasks.
- The actions agents affects the performance.
- The order of the actions affects performance.
- The execution time affects the performance.
- Coordinated goal selection.
- Coordinated resource allocation.
- Coordinated sequencing (one activity after the other) and synchronizing (activities at the same time).
It does not possible, however to devise a coordination strategy that works well under all circumstances; whatever strategy we adopt, certain situations can stress it to the breaking point.
 Identifies three varying properties (dimensions) of an interaction situation: The agent population, the task environment and the solution propierties.
The most obvios properties that impact the usability of a coordination strategy are:
Agent population: Quantity, the number of agents. Heterogeneity, agents can have different capabilities, internal architectures and communication languages. Complexity, how predictable the agents are.
Task environment: Degree of interaction, large and small groups of agents. Dynamics, The rate at which the environment changes. Distributivity, tasks can originate centrally or distributively.
Solution properties: Quality, the quality of a solution by judging how well it coordinates agent interactions (how efficient it is utilizing agent resources). Robustness, changes in the environment invalidate the plans or goals of agents. Overhead limitations, communication bandwidth may be limited.